Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld land syne!

For auld land syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We’ll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

I’m Scottish, and this is a Scottish song about love and friendship in times past. The lyrics relate to a drink shared by men and women to symbolize friendship. Is this song telling me something on this night of a new decade? Should I welcome 2010 and old friends with open arms as the Waterford crystal ball drops in Times Square? Should auld acquaintance of twenty years ago be forgotten and left in the 80s? Can I really forget the past and welcome my old friend back into my life as if nothing ever happened?

Can I really drink a cup o’ kindness? Well, maybe if it is accompanied by a sidecar.

So I need a little encouragement to face the future. Leave me alone. At least I'm willing to face and accept it/him.

I have been really proud of myself so far. Mind you, I have only seen Spermy in person three times since his resurrection. The first time we both talked on our phones to avoid personal conversation while he bought Kyky’s first b-day present. Afterwards we spent over thirty minutes on the phone. The second time, I surrounded myself by thirty other people while he met Kyky’s family and I met his for the first time! The last time, my 40th birthday, we actually hugged. I have to admit that touching him after twenty years was weird. I know, a bad adjective to describe such a milestone, but it is really the only one that works for me.

It just turned midnight. A new decade. The ball dropped. Dick Clark slurred his new year wishes and should have embraced retirement no matter how much of an icon he is in this yearly tradition. A new text wishing me a Happy New Year. Ryan Seacrest with his bleached smile. JLo in her nuddy bodysuit. Where was Bon Jovi? My kid left after she attempted to open her first bottle of champagne.

I like having my friend back, even if it means I’m the dirty little secret.

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope that your dreams become reality, no matter how absurd they are. Remember sometimes dreams come true in ways we never expect . . . and if not, . . sometimes they are still AWESOME to enjoy.

1 comment: